Back to School with Montessori – 5 Helpful Tips for Parents
Heading back to the classroom in September is an exciting time of year. Children, parents and teachers are all full of anticipation as the new school year begins. With only a couple of weeks before summer break draws to a close, it’s a good time to begin thinking about the September transition.
1. Build Confidence – Helping kids help themselves, do for themselves and make their own mistakes is truly the best way to build self-esteem and confidence. Before mornings become rushed in September, give children some space and time to practice the skills they’ll need to get ready for school. Can little one pour their own cereal and milk? Do older children know how to pack their own backpacks and lunches?
“Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed.” – Maria Montessori
2. Slow Down – Summer is full of action playing with friends, travelling and going on adventures as a family. During these last weeks of the summer break, slow things down and try to reduce distractions in order to mentally and emotionally prepare for a Montessori setting where children will be working on their concentration skills through uninterrupted work periods.
3. Get Organized – Sit down together as a family and talk about upcoming changes and set new routines that need to fall into place. Let everyone share the things they are excited about, as well as anything that might be causing underlying anxiety. Talking about it ahead of time will ease the transition for the whole family.
4. Expect the Unexpected – Changing expectations, new routines and potential social pressures may lead to some challenging moments in the weeks ahead. Stay connected to one another and be prepared for a few bumps in the road. With a flexible mindset, these things won’t derail parents, leaving you better equipped to get through anything unexpected.
5. Have Fun – The most important thing to keep top of mind during any transition phase is to keep the fun going! Laughter is the best stress reliever, no matter what your age. Remember to have some fun as a family as you get back into your school year routines.
See all you back at Kendalwood Montessori soon!
Kendalwood Montessori & Elementary School is Durham Region’s first fully accredited Montessori school. At Kendalwood, we believe that our job is to inspire children to become the best students they can be. With a curriculum that focuses on developing the intellect as well as nurturing self-esteem, academics are taught, curiosity is cultivated and respect is fostered. Our approach creates an environment where students flourish and develop a lifelong love of learning.